SMSC (spiritual, moral, social and cultural development) will be promoted through a curriculum which reflects the aims and values of the school and meets the needs of all pupils so that they have the knowledge and cultural capital they need to succeed in life They will learn through a strong sense of community underpinned by fundamental British Values.
We will choose books and learning opportunities which will enable the pupils to ask questions and have discussions in a safe environment. This will enable children to gain knowledge of current affairs and have an open mind to differences.
Pupils will be taught to understand and be respectful of the fact that people do have different faiths and beliefs. Pupils will be provided with the opportunity to meet with people from different faiths through the RE & RSHE curriculums alongside visitors to assembly who represent a range of faiths.
To ensure that learning at Listerdale Junior Academy develops children’s spiritual development, the curriculum will encourage children to;
- Listen and be still (encourage quiet reflection during a lesson or assembly)
- Foster a sense wonder and mystery in the world (promote an awareness of, and enjoyment in, using their imaginative potential and to develop curiosity and a questioning approach)
- Develop individual self-confidence in expressing inner thought in a variety of ways
- Develop self-esteem, respect for themselves and the ability to reflect
- Have the opportunity to develop personal beliefs.